Shared Custody – Eligible Dependent, Child Amount and Childcare Expenses

In shared custody situations each parent can claim one eligible
dependent amount and one child amount non-refundable tax credit.   Therefore one child each year per parent.  If they can’t agree who takes which child then nobody gets the deductions.  The
children claimed can be rotated each year if desired.

Both taxpayers may claim Childcare Expenses that they have paid for  as a
deduction for the year.

Please note there are special rules around the year of separation.  They must be separated at least 90 days at the end of the year for the higher income spouse to claim the child care
expenses otherwise the lower income spouse can claim them.

Share this post
This entry was posted in 2010 Canadian Tax Tips, 2011 Canadian Tax Tips, Tax - Canadian, Tax Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *